Crisps are the easiest desserts to whip up and this blueberry and apple crumble is no different. Fresh apples and blueberries tossed with lemon, brown sugar and cinnamon. The crumble is topped with a brown sugar streusel and of course, ice cream.
I was a little skeptical of blueberry and apple together but omg is it good!! I like to bring out the tart with some lemon and then tie them together with a little cinnamon and vanilla.
Why you’ll love this crumble
- This blueberry and apple crumble feels super light because it’s mostly fruit.
- It’s perfect for summer and fall which makes it the perfect summer to fall transition dessert!
- Optimal amount of streusel topping is involved.
- Like I said, the easiest type of dessert to bake up.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Apples: I use 4-5 large apples. They’ll make your dish feel really full but they shrink as they’re baking.
- I love to use my apple spiralizer to peel, core and slice the apples all in one.
- Flour: I use all purpose flour in most of my recipes and I HIGHLY recommend using a digital scale, as flour is so often over measured.
- Sugar: Light or dark brown sugar work well here.
- Lemon: whenever I bake with apples I like to coat them in lemon juice. This prevents them from getting brown super quick and brings out their natural tartness.
- Salt: salt brings out natural flavors and cuts the sweetness a bit. I like to use fine sea salt. If you’re using table salt, I would use half the amount.
- Butter: I like salted butter but unsalted butter works fine too. I would increase the salt by ¼ tsp if using unsalted butter.
- dairy free butter also works great for a vegan option.
- Spices: I didn’t want the spices to overpower the blueberry and apples so I just went with a little cinnamon in the streusel. Feel free to add some cinnamon (1/2 – 1tsp) and nutmeg (1/4 tsp) to the apple filling as well if you want it more spiced.
- Vanilla: I thought vanilla would pair well with the blueberries and apples. I recommend pure vanilla extract.
Step 1: Make the streusel by blending the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and melted butter.
Step 2: Peel, core and slice apples: I like to use an apple spiralizer to make this super quick and easy.
Step 3: Make the filling by tossing the apples with the blueberries, lemon, brown sugar, flour, spices and salt.
Step 4: Top the blueberry apple filling with the streusel and bake until the streusel is golden brown and the fruit juices are bubbling on the side.
Remove from the oven and the crumble rest for 15-30 minutes so the juices set.
Step 5: Top with ice cream and serve!
Pro Tips for making this blueberry apple crumble
- You can mix the filling ingredients straight in your pie dish but make sure to use your largest deep dish pie dish so you have room to combine the ingredients.
- Reserve a handful of blueberries to place on top of the apples because when you toss all the ingredients in the pie dish, the blueberries tend to fall to the bottom.
- 10/10 recommend an apple spiralizer to make all your fall baking 10x quicker. This apple corer peels, slices and cores the apples all at once. I use it for ALL my apple recipes.
Frequently Asked Questions
I find that most apples work well in desserts except golden apples (those are too mushy). My favorites are honeycrisp, fuji or gala apples. If you want the crisp to be more tart and less sweet, use granny smith apples.
I find the skin a little unpleasant but you don’t HAVE to peel the apples. I do since it’s easy with an apple spiralizer.
I haven’t tested it in this specific recipe however, it has worked in most all my other recipes where I swapped fresh blueberries for frozen blueberries. It may be a little less liquidy so you cut the flour by 1-2 tablespoons.
Yup! Just swap the butter in the crumble topping for dairy free butter.
How to serve and store
I recommend serving the crumble on a plate and then topping with ice cream so the ice cream doesn’t melt all over the part that’s not getting eaten.
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator and then bake for 5-10 minutes at 325F (or microwave) before serving again.
Thanks so much for reading today’s post, if you have any questions just comment down below. Make sure to leave it in the comment section because I can’t answer in the rating section :).
If you make this blueberry apple crumble recipe I would love to see it so make sure to tag me @baranbakery on instagram!
If you loved this recipe, make sure to leave me a star rating below as well 🙂
As always, have a blessed day and happy baking!
Blueberry and Apple Crumble Recipe
Apple Blueberry Filling
- 4-5 large apples peeled and sliced (or 7-8 medium apples)
- 1 3/4 cups 175g/6oz fresh blueberries
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 medium or 1/2 a large lemon
- 2 Tbsp (15g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) light or dark brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Brown Sugar Streusel
- 1/2 cup (113g) salted butter melted
- 1 3/4 cups (210g) all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar light or dark
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C convection (325F/163C conventional).
- For the filling, peel and slice the apples and place them in a deep 10" pan or a casserole dish.4-5 large apples
- Add the blueberries, lemon, flour, sugar, salt and vanilla and mix until they're combined.1 3/4 cups 175g/6oz fresh blueberries, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 2 Tbsp (15g) all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup (50g) light or dark brown sugar, 1/8 tsp fine sea salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the streusel, melt the butter in a separate bowl and then add in all the flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix everything with a fork until the streusel forms pea sized chunks.1/2 cup (113g) salted butter, 1 3/4 cups (210g) all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar, 1/8 tsp fine sea salt, 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Spread evenly on top of the apple mixture and bake for about 45 minutes, until the streusel has browned.
- Remove from the oven, let it rest for about 10 minutes and then serve with vanilla ice cream!Vanilla ice cream for topping