This almond raspberry cake is made with almond flavored cake layers that are soaked in an almond liquor simple syrup, filled with fresh raspberry filling and frosted with vanilla mascarpone buttercream.
Back again with another cake recipe. I told you I love making layered cakes & when I made the chocolate one, I needed to lighten it up a bit with this almond raspberry cake.
My mom uses disaronno in some of her cakes & I absolutely LOVE the taste in baked goods. I also love the way fruit filling looks on cake & how refreshing it feels squished between layers of cake & buttercream. & mascarpone? Well, who doesn’t love mascarpone with fresh fruit filling?! It was the obvious choice.
Also in case you were wondering, to frost raspberries, you just whip up an egg white, remove the foam on top, dip the raspberry in the egg white & then roll it in granulated sugar. Allow drying for a few hours (best overnight).
Ok loves, you know this cake will be a show-stopper for all your guests this holiday season so you might as well give it a try *winky-face emoji*. & make sure to tag me @baranbakery if you make this cake! As always,
- 3 cup (375g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cup (450g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (6oz) vegetable oil or canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 Tbsp disaronno amaretto liqueur *optional*
- 2 cups (16oz) whole milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz mascarpone, room temperature
- 3 cups (360g) powdered sugar, spooned and leveled
- 2 Tbsp disaronno amaretto liqueur *you can substitute for 1-2 tsp. almond extract*
- 8 oz raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp (1 oz) orange juice or lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp raspberry vodka *optional*
- Combine the raspberries and orange juice in a medium saucepan, over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes until the raspberries are all broken up.
- Remove a couple of tablespoons of liquid from the sauce pan and mix with the cornstarch in a separate bowl. Add in the cornstarch mixture and the vodka and let it simmer for a few more minutes.
- Remove from the heat, pour it into a small bowl or jar and allow the filling to cool completely before using.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C convection (325F/163C conventional) and grease and line three 8-inch pans or five 6-inch pans with baking spray and parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together, at high speed, for 2-3 minutes. Scrape the edge of the bowl and add in the oil. Beat for another 1-2 minutes, until it's pale and fluffy.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs to the mixture, one at a time, beating until each one is fully incorporated. Add in the almond extract and liqueur.
- Alternate adding in the milk and the dry ingredients in three intervals, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until the last streak of flour is combined.
- Divide batter between the pans and bake for 30-40 minutes, until it's golden brown, releases from the edge and springs back when you press on it gently.
- Once they are cooled completely, level each cake if they're domed.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, use the flat beater to cream together the butter and mascarpone, for 1-2 minutes just until they're combined.
- Add in the powdered sugar and the extract and/or liqueur and beat for another 2-3 minutes, scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Place the first layer of cake on a board and top it with a layer of mascarpone buttercream. Place the second layer of cake on top and pipe a border of the buttercream around the edge of this layer, then fill it with raspberry filling.
- Repeat with alternating layers until the cake is assembled. Refrigerate the cake for at least 30 minutes.
- Use half of the left over frosting to do a light crumb coat and then refrigerate the cake for another 30 minutes. Finish frosting the cake with the left over frosting.
- Place some fresh raspberries dusted with powdered sugar on top of the cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 945Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 442mgCarbohydrates: 137gFiber: 2gSugar: 110gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information may not be fully accurate.