A super easy and festive gingerbread pie made with Athens Foods’ phyllo dough sheets and topped with fresh whipped cream and dusting of cinnamon!
Hello my friends! I’m so happy you’re here because today I partnered with some of my favorite friends over at Athens Foods to bring you this show-stopping, festive treat! I did a poll on instagram a few weeks ago about what kind of recipes you guys were looking for at Christmastime and the majority said something unique with traditional flavors. Well, if you ask me, this gingerbread pie is exactly that!
What is gingerbread pie
After making a ton of pies for Thanksgiving, I’ve exhausted my desire to make pie crusts so I tried something new and it turned out amazing!! If you’ve never used Athens Foods Phyllo Dough Sheets as a pie crust, you are not living your best life. It is so incredibly easy to put together and makes for the most flaky and crispy crust.
I filled the pie with a simple gingerbread filling. It’s made similar to pumpkin pie but without the pumpkin.
How to make gingerbread pie
To make a phyllo dough crust, I used eight sheets of dough. Lay them flat and then brush each one with melted butter. Then layer them in the pie dish, alternating the long sides. Picture a clock to make this easier to understand. Layer the first sheet with the long sides being at 12 and 6. Then the second sheet with the long side at 3 and 9, then 1½ and 7½ and then 4½ and 10½. Repeat that sequence for the second half of the layers.
For the filling, all the ingredients just get evenly combined until they’re smooth and silky. Pour it over the crust and bake to perfection! Perfection equals the crust being golden brown, sides of the filling being set and the center being a little jiggly still.
How to serve and store pie
After removing the pie from the oven, you’ll want to allow it to cool at room temperature a little before refrigerating it. The pie needs to be refrigerated to fully set and it is also best served slightly chilled.
The pie can be made a few days in advance, it stays pretty fresh in the refrigerator. Before serving, top the pie with some fresh whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon!
For leftovers, either fully cover the pie with plastic wrap or place the slices in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This gingerbread pie is literally one of the simplest, festive desserts to make this year! It’s definitely a show-stopper with that beautiful flakey, golden crust and no one will even know that it takes about 10 minutes to put together.
If you make it, make sure to tag me @baranbakery on instagram and Athens Foods @athens_foods. We’d love to see how your gingerbread pie turns out this Christmas! As always, have a blessed day, happy baking and Merry Christmas!!
- 8 sheets of Athens Phyllo Dough
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- cinnamon and whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C convection (325F/163C conventional) and grease a 9-inch pie plate.
- Using the 1/4 cup of melted butter, spread the butter onto each layer of Athens Phyllo Dough before stacking them, alternating the long side, in the greased pan.
- For the pie filling, in a large bowl, mix the 1/2 cup of butter and cornstarch. Use a whisk or an electric mixer to combine them until the cornstarch is fully dissolved.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, sugar, molasses, vanilla, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Whisk together until they're smooth.
- Add the eggs and beat the mixture until it's fully combined.
- Pour the mixture over the Athens Phyllo Dough sheets, place it on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for about 45 minutes. You want the edges to be set and the center to still be a little jiggly.
- Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes to an hour at room temperature and then refrigerate it for at least four hours, until it feels set. Top it with whipped cream and a pinch of cinnamon before serving.
Store refrigerated in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 317mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information may not be fully accurate.
For similar recipes, check out:
- MINI BOSTON CREAM PIE RECIPE
- PUMPKIN PIE WITH TOASTED MERINGUE TOPPING
- MINI LEMON MERINGUE PIES WITH ATHENS PHYLLO SHELLS
- APPLE BUTTER PIE
- CARAMEL PECAN PIE WITH HOMEMADE CARAMEL SAUCE
This post was sponsored by Athens Foods, all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Baran Bakery possible!