Birthday Cake Ice Cream with Brown Butter Swirls
Brown butter birthday cake ice cream recipe is a super easy homemade no-churn vanilla ice cream swirled with brown butter and birthday cake crumbles.
Nothing screams summer more than ice cream and nothing is more satisfying than making your own homemade ice cream. There are so many ways to make homemade ice cream. Gelato involves egg yolks, churned ice cream requires an ice cream maker, but this easy no-churn ice cream is made with sweetened condensed milk.
How to make no-churn brown butter ice cream?
No-churn ice cream that uses sweetened condensed milk doesn’t normally require butter in the mixture. I used the butter just for the flavor and swirled it in.
- Heavy Cream – whipped into whipped cream
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Vanilla Extract – I used imitation vanilla for the birthday cake flavor.
- Butter – cooked into brown butter
How to make Birthday Cake Crumbles
I used these birthday cake crumbles in my white chocolate birthday cake fudge and THEY ARE INCREDIBLE. It’s really hard not to just munch on those alone. I loved them so much I made this recipe just to use them again.
The recipe for the birthday cake crumbs is adapted from Christina Tosi’s Milk Bar Birthday Cake. It’s scaled down and I opted for ingredients that I usually have at home, such as butter instead of grapeseed oil.
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
How to store homemade brown butter birthday cake ice cream?
Store brown butter birthday cake ice cream in the freezer fully covered for 2-3 months. I like to separate mine into two large glass Tupperware containers with a lid so that I don’t keep opening the same box when eating out of it.
If I’m being honest, I don’t think these pictures do the ice cream justice, lol. It was really hard to capture the swirls of brown butter underneath the birthday cake crumbles but I promise, this ice cream is amazing. Make sure to tag me @baranbakery on instagram if you make this ice cream, as always have a blessed day and happy baking!
Brown Butter Birthday Cake Ice Cream Recipe
Homemade no-churn vanilla ice cream swirled with brown butter and birthday cake crumbles.
- 1/4 cup butter
Birthday Cake Crumbles
- 2/3 cup (80g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp imitation vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rainbow sprinkles
- pinch of salt
Brown Butter Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp imitation vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (56g) browned butter
- 1 batch of birthday cake crumbs
- In a light colored saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Once it begins to bubble, stir it frequently and don't leave it unattended. The butter will foam and you won't be able to see what's happening under the foam so make sure to keep stirring.
- You will begin to smell an intense butter flavor with a nutty aroma and you'll see brown speckles forming in the butter. Remove it from the heat and quickly pour the butter into a small bowl and allow it to cool completely to room temperature.
Birthday Cake Crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 350F (177C) and line a cookie sheet. Combine all the ingredients for the birthday cake crumbles in a medium bowl and mix them with a hand mixer until they form small clusters.
- Spread the crumbs on the baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, use a fork to break up the larger chunks (scramble them up a little) and return them to the oven for about 3-5 minutes until they're a golden brown color. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely-they will crisp up as they cool- then break them into crumbs.
- Once the brown butter and the crumbs have cooled, in a large bowl, begin whipping 2 cups of heavy whipping cream until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Fold in the sweetened condensed milk, salt and vanilla extract into the heavy whipping cream mixture.
- Spread half of the ice cream on the bottom of a pan (or bowl, whatever you use). Use all of the brown butter to spread a layer on top of the ice cream. Top it with half of the birthday cake crumbles. Repeat with the second half but omit the brown butter on the top layer.
- Add extra sprinkles and freeze for at least 4-5 hours (best overnight).
- If you're a huge brown butter fan, you can double the amount of butter and spread a layer of brown butter on the top as well. I didn't want it to over power the "birthday cake" flavor.
- You can also make a vanilla ice cream base with an ice cream machine, just follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 0gSugar: 33gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Hello! I’m guessing on step 7 you meant freeze and not refrigerate? Sounds and looks so yummy!
Well I can’t believe nobody caught that until now lol, thank you!!
Looks amazing ?
Do you usually swirl the brown butter in or is it just a distinct layer of brown butter and a layer of crumbs in the middle of the tub? Asking so I know what container to use and how to scoop to get all the layers! Thanks!
Hi! I usually just drizzle it and swirl it with a knife. If you use a deep container instead of a wide one, just do multiple layers!
This sounds amazing! Maybe I missed it but could you tell me how many quarts of ice cream this makes?
Hi Nicole, I believe it’s just one quart 🙂
Couldn’t look yummier! Wanting to make this for my daughter’s first birthday. How far in advance could I make it and store in the freezer? Also, will it freeze solid to where I should take the ice cream out of freezer before serving?
Hi Sarah, it does freeze pretty hard but it melts quickly so I wouldn’t take it out to soon before serving. I’d say it’s best within 1 month of making it 🙂
This seems like a really wow recipie! I was thinking of making this into an ice cream cake? Make the cake crumbles into the cake layers etc. I was wondering how thick should I make the layers? And as I live in a tropical country, would you have any tips I could use to make sure it doesn’t melt? Thank you so very much!
Hi Dinuka! I would probably do two layers of cake, about two inches thick and the ice cream in the middle. It would help if you freeze the cake layers before putting the cake together and putting it together in a springform pan would probably be best so the ice cream doesn’t leak out.
Thank you for your reply!
Could you please let me know how the amounts of the ingredients should increase for two layers of cake?
Hi dinuka, I’m so sorry, this recipe is just for the crumbles, they don’t make an actual cake it’s just the flavor of birthday cake.
I haven’t tried it but you can try making it with my vanilla cake recipe (add 1/4 cup of sprinkles if you want) and bake it into two 9 inch pans.
That’s fine! Thank you so much