Errrhhhmmerrrggghhherrrdddd, last recipe of the summer (at least for me)! I probably would have tried to squeeze in a few more but let’s be real, my due date is less than 2 weeks away & I’ve already started working on fall goodies. So what better way than to top it off with an ice cream recipe, specifically pistachio raspberry ice cream!
& can we just take a second to appreciate this beauty?! I love the green & pink together, so summery & light!
Churn Ice Cream
I wanted this recipe to feel a little more sorbet/ice-y & less creamy, like the caramel cheesecake ice cream or the s’mores brownie ice cream, so I opted for my handy dandy ice cream maker to make this pistachio raspberry ice cream! Using an ice cream maker, the ingredients consist of cream, milk & sugar, whereas a no churn ice cream requires sweetened condensed milk, which is what makes it extra creamy.
When you churn the ice cream, it starts off as liquid and the longer it churns, the thicker it gets & eventually turns into butter…which we don’t want. So make sure to stop the churning once the it begins to look like soft serve ice cream or froyo consistency. Once it’s done, you just fold in whatever other ingredients the recipe calls for, in this case extra pistachio chunks & raspberries, then you cover & freeze for a few hours.
If you love pistachios & raspberries & ice cream then you need to make this recipe, it’s definitely different than most of my other homemade ice creams. I’d love to see it so make sure to tag me @baranbakery on instagram! I hope you enjoy this last bit of summer we have left & as always,
Pistachio Raspberry Ice Cream
- 1 cup lightly salted pistachios (out of shell)
- 1/4 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberries, halved
- Using an ice cream maker, freeze the bowl for 24 hours before.
- Use a food processor to make pistachio paste with 3/4 cup pistachios & 1/4 tsp. coconut oil.
- Combine milk, cream & sugar in a bowl & whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly add some of milk mixture into pistachio paste to make it thinner.
- Once paste is thin enough, pour it back into milk mixture & whisk until evenly distributed.
- Remove bowl from freezer, attach the spinner to the lid & turn on machine.
- Set it to 20 minutes & once it begins spinning, pour in your milk mixture through the hole on the lid.
- Allow to churn until it becomes the consistency of soft serve ice cream (may be 25 minutes). Don't over-churn unless you want to eat butter.
- Meanwhile roughly chop up the last 1/4 cup of pistachios & your raspberries.
- Turn machine off, fold in chopped pistachios & raspberries & top with a few extras.
- Cap with lid & freeze for a few hours or overnight.