This Nutella ice cream is a super quick and easy no-churn ice cream. Nutella and cocoa powder are used in the base, it’s swirled throughout the ice cream and studded with chunks of hazelnuts.
Why You’ll Love This Nutella Ice Cream
- This no-churn homemade nutella ice cream recipe is SO QUICK & EASY to make! This may be one of my easiest ice cream to make and only requires a handful of ingredients.
- As a no-churn base, this ice cream recipe requires fewer steps and no ice cream machine making it a perfect dessert to make at home. You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer as well.
- Nutella can be used in just about anything, mixing it in ice cream to enjoy is at the top of my list!
What is the Difference Between Churn and No-churn Ice Cream?
Churned ice cream, made traditionally, involves an ice cream maker that simultaneously freezes and churns the mixture, incorporating air and preventing large ice crystal formation, resulting in a smooth texture.
While no-churn ice cream, eliminates the need for an ice cream maker by incorporating air with whipped cream and an extra creamy consistency from the condensed milk. The result is usually a denser, creamier ice cream with a smooth texture.
What is the Flavor of Nutella?
Nutella is a popular brand of sweet, chocolate-hazelnut spread. It was first introduced in Italy and made primarily from sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts, cocoa powder, and skim milk powder. Nutella has a rich chocolate-hazelnut flavor that is sweet and indulgent. It combines the taste of chocolate with a pronounced nuttiness from the hazelnuts, resulting in a smooth and creamy spread enjoyed on its own or as a delicious addition to various foods such as ice cream!
Other brands of chocolate hazelnut spread, even homemade versions, can also be used for this recipe.
Like I said, nutella can be used in just about anything. Try it in my Nutella Cake, Ferrero Rocher Cake, Nutella Cupcakes, and Ferrero Rocher Cookies. You can definitely never go wrong when you think of nutella and dessert recipes!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: this is what sweetens the ice cream and makes it super creamy.
- This cannot be replaced for something like sugar, as it’s what makes this ice cream possible as a no-churn. I found that using other sweeteners made the ice cream crystallize.
- There is a vegan version made from oat milk that may work but I have not tested it.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: this gets whipped into fresh whipped cream and makes the ice cream super light and fluffy
- To make this dairy free, use coconut cream, it may alter the flavor a little though.
- Nutella Spread: if you can’t find the Nutella brand, any brand of chocolate hazelnut spread will work.
- Cocoa Powder: I love using dutch process cocoa powder in basically all of my recipes. I like the flavor and the color better.
- If you don’t have dutch-processed, you can use regular unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe too.
- Hazelnuts: I found store-bought peeled and chopped hazelnuts. If you get them whole, you’ll need to either boil or toast them and peel the skin off before chopping.
- I also tossed in some leftover praline from my Ferrero Rocher Cake but those can also be store bought if you find some.
Step 1: Mix heavy whipping cream in a stand mixer until it thickens and forms stiff peaks.
- Start on slow speed to avoid splashing and gradually increase.
Step 2: Add sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, ⅔ of the Nutella and salt, mixing until they’re fully combined.
Step 3: Spread half the ice cream into a deep pan.
Step 4: Place the remaining nutella in a bowl and microwave for 10-20 seconds. Drizzle half of that on top of the ice cream and use a knife to swirl.
Step 5: Sprinkle half of the hazelnuts on top, then repeat with the second half of the ice cream, warmed nutella, and hazelnuts.
Step 6: Freeze – cover with a lid, foil or plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yup, just use coconut cream and dairy free sweetened condensed milk (like oatmilk).
This no-churn ice cream does not require an ice cream machine.
Yesss, use whatever base you like, churn or no-churn and just follow the instructions with the nutella and nuts.
How to Store Nutella Ice Cream
Make sure the ice cream is fully covered with plastic wrap or a container with a lid and freeze for at least 8 hours. Ice cream keeps well in the freezer for a few weeks.
Thanks so much for reading today’s post, if you have any questions just comment down below.
If you make this Nutella ice cream, I would love it if you left a star rating for it in the recipe card.
As always, have a blessed day and happy baking!
Nutella Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups (18oz) heavy whipping cream cold, (18 ounces in weight not fluid ounces)
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (280g) Nutella spread split
- 1/2 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder spooned and leveled (I use dutch-processed)
- tiny pinch fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts and/or praline toasted and peeled
- Place the heavy whipping cream into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and use an electric mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, to beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form (I start on slow speed so it doesn't splash and increase the speed as it thickens).2 cups (18oz) heavy whipping cream
- Then add the sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, 2/3 of the Nutella (2/3 cup or 210 grams) and the salt and mix just until it's fully combined.1 cup (280g) Nutella spread, 1/2 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder, tiny pinch fine sea salt, 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- Use a rubber spatula to make sure it's all mixed in and spread half of the ice cream into a 2 quart container (or 8×3 inch pan or 9×5 loaf pan).
- Place the other 1/3 of the Nutella in a bowl and microwave it for 10 seconds so it's more runny. Drizzle half of the melted Nutella on top of the ice cream and use a knife to swirl it back and forth.
- Sprinkle half of the hazelnuts and/or praline on top and then repeat with the second half of the ice cream, Nutella and hazelnuts.1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts and/or praline
- Cover the pan with a lid, plastic wrap or foil and place it in the freezer for at least 8 hours or overnight.