Ohhhh heeeeyyyy, just over here comin’ to replace your Christmas morning cinnamon rolls with *drumroll please* gingerbread loaf with cinnamon streusel and cream cheese glaze! You. Are. Welcome.
If you followed my stories on instagram (@baranbakery) last year you would’ve seen how many times I tried to make a gingerbread loaf. I was trying to make a gingerbread cheesecake loaf, where the cream cheese filling was layered into the gingerbread batter. I gave it like seven tries and I was still unsuccessful. But new year new me, I made a new gingerbread loaf and it’s phenomenal.
How to make homemade gingerbread loaf from scratch
Where to begin with this little guy?! Let’s start with all the layers. We have a super moiiissssttttt gingerbread loaf. Topped with a beautiful cinnamon streusel that doesn’t get super hard after baking for an hour. The best part? Using only two ingredients, a luxurious cream cheese glaze.
cream butter and sugars batter after oil and molasses are added, add in the eggs
I like to keep things pretty simple around here and this is no different. For the batter, mix wet ingredients, whisk together dry ingredients and then combine the two together. The easiest way to make a streusel is by placing all the ingredients in a food processor. Bake it up and let it cool a bit. So this luxurious glaze I speak of is made using cream cheese and Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. If you’ve never baked with sweetened condensed milk, you NEED to try it out. It’s so creamy and sweet and you don’t have to mess around with messy powdered sugar.
add half of dry ingredients add wet ingredients
How long to bake a gingerbread loaf?
I’ve always struggled a bit with quick breads because they’re so thick, they always risk being under-baked in the center or burned on the edges. Fear not, this loaf is perfectly baked. & did I mention the streusel doesn’t get super hard on top?! I baked this loaf for 75 minutes on 325 Fahrenheit. When removed from the oven, give it at least 30 minutes to cool in the pan. The center will continue baking a little because of how thick and hot it is. You can eat it warm but it may be a little difficult to slice before it’s completely cooled.
dry ingredients for streusel add butter to food processor
Once you remove the gingerbread loaf from the pan, GLAZE IT UP! You can even just use the Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk, without the cream cheese, as the glaze. They even come in the new squeeze bottles, so you can just glaze it fresh when serving!
chunks of streusel lay them on top of the batter in prepared pan
How to easily remove quick bread from a loaf pan?
Generally when I remove cake or loafs, I just flip them over and they slide right out. However, this has a generous amount of streusel on top that we certainly don’t want to lose. So I grease my pan with baking spray and then I use a long thin sheet of parchment paper to line it. Just cut (or rip) a sheet of parchment to about 6″x12″ and place it across the SHORT side of the pan. You want extra paper sticking up past the sides of the pan so you can easily remove it. If the pan is properly greased, the rest of the loaf shouldn’t stick at all.
cream cheese glaze
How long does gingerbread loaf last?
You can eat this gingerbread loaf fresh and warm or let it cool and then eat it. To keep it has fresh as possible, avoid slicing until serving and store in an airtight container. Keep refrigerated overnight and allow it to come to room temperature before serving. You can freeze it as well, I would just hold off on the glaze until serving and make sure it’s in an airtight container.
Ok friends, good chat today. Make sure to snag a bottle of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk to make your Christmas morning a little sweeter. I know I’ll be enjoying this gingerbread loaf with my family and I’d love see if you guys make it too! Make sure to tag me @baranbakery on instagram and as always, have a blessed day and happy baking!
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (118mL) canola oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (177mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, room temperature and cubed
- 2 oz Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 325F (163C) convection (300F/149C conventiona + a few minutes of bake time) and grease and line a loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add in the oil and molasses, beating until fully combined, scraping the bottom as necessary.
- Beat in the eggs. The batter may begin to split- keep beating 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Alternate adding the milk and dry ingredients into the batter, mixing just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Place the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a food processor and mix until evenly distributed.
- Add the cubed butter and mix until it forms pea size clumps.
- Spread evenly over the batter in the loaf pan.
- Bake for 75 minutes and allow it to cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Mix together the sweetened condensed milk with the cream cheese and drizzle over the cooled loaf loaf.
- Serve immediately or store refrigerated in airtight container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 276mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information may not be fully accurate.
Thank you for supporting all things Baran Bakery & the brands that make it all possible. This post was sponsored by Eagle Brand. All opinions are 100% my own.